Saturday, March 19, 2011

Weighing in on Life

from Graphics Fairy
As a part of the PCOS game plan I'm supposed to be loosing weight in hopes of improving my high cholesterol and out of wack periods. Additionally my blood pressure was ever so slightly elevated this last visit which is not great but not the end of the world. Don't get me wrong I'm not exactly enthused to we tipping the scale around 200 lbs at 5'4" tall. I know my weight isn't the healthiest. However, at present it's just feeling like a loosing battle. I log 20-40 or more Kilometers/week. It's not like I'm sitting on the couch just eating Doritos. Even the doctor was at a little bit of a loss, I'm pretty active, I eat more or less good for me. I don't eat meat or drink soda. I eat 'good' carbs like whole grains and fruits and veggies aka fibrous things. I've been doing the low fat low cholesterol thing since I was 13. It's not like I'm not trying. The other end of things is that unfortunately there are months like this one where I literally don't have the lung capacity to get out there and work out. I've had some kind of cold nastyness going for almost 3 weeks on and off. This pretty well puts much physical activity out of the question. I'd love to loose the weight and I'm trying my darnest to do so. It's not easy carrying a full load of classes, working part-time, and trying to balance asthma, allergies, and hormones out of wack while getting sleep and having a bit of a social life. I don't know what more to do, I will not give up I'm a fighter. I just wish that my activity level and eating habits were enough to make the scale tip at a lower level and please Dr. Z.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much of that weight is muscle? Muscle weighs a lot, more than fat. I weigh more than I should, but that's partially attributed to muscle.

Tash said...

I know exactly where you're coming from... unfortunately PCOS does appear to be one of those annoying conditions which is improved by losing weight, but also makes losing weight hard. Add asthma into the equation and of course the problems increase. I have exactly the same problem... I managed to lose quite a bit of weight about 10 years ago, and at the time the asthma wasn't giving me so much trouble.. but I could still do with shifting some more and in those 10 years I've never managed it :(

I've learned to live with it now, but I'm still trying to change it.

Good luck, and give me a shout if you ever feel the need to whine to someone that 'gets it' :)

Kat said...

@Gingitkchula- I'm sure some of that is muscle and realistically I'll probably never reach the 'ideal' body weight for my height. I'm okay with that but I do need to lean up a bit.

Headstrong said...

Ugh, that is so frustrating! The battle of the bulge, especially with meds and chronic disease, and, well LIFE mixed in can be so demoralizing! Well, I am proud of you, and I look forward to seeing you continue your fight with grace and strength. All the best to you!
Cheers,
Headstrong

Kat said...

Thanks Tash & Headstrong!

Post a Comment