Monday, September 12, 2011

"Not Sick"

. I was just so worn out from work and class and everything. The last 36hrs or so I've been brewing a nice flare after having my period last week on top of some ?fall allergy? conguestion. The conguestion has apparently migrated down into the lungs and is not playing nice. It feels like I'm running a 5k.

I warn you now this is a bit of a rant. Continue at your own peril(okay it won't really be that perilous). So I was on facebook chatting with a friend, this evening. I mentioned that I kinda felt like curling in a ball. said friend is a mild intermittent(like really intermittent I think he's had about 3 asthma flares in the 5 years I've known him). He's like "asthma isn't sick". I really wanted to jump through my computer and just smack him. It's like look I feel like shit you don't need to tell me I'm not sick you can come over here and listen to me cough and watch me curl up in a little ball and take a nap. Yes I'm not contagious but I'm also not "well".

/Rant

The lungs are touchy as of late I think it's a combo of coming off the rag and the allergies have my nose running like a faucet. Had a nice 70% today, they responded to ventolin though. School has been keeping me pretty busy as has my job in the IT department. So that's what's up here. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. I hope this doesn't earn me a smack through the computer too... but...

In my mind asthma doesn't = sick either. It's some weird other universe. In my mind sick is something contagious, something you catch, and something that will go away. In uni I was part of a Language and Thought seminar, where I wrote a paper about the difference in meaning between "chronic illness" and "chronic condition". I then pointed out how Hebrew doesn't have this distinction and hypothesized that Hebrew speakers with chronic conditions have a worse outlook on their health than English speakers dealing with the same stuff.

Like your friend, I'm mild intermittent at this point in life. But I wasn't always. Asthma can make you feel like complete crap. I tend to describe horribly bad days as feeling stuck inside my own body. There are things I want to do but I can't because my lungs can't keep up. But I never called it sick. Cuz sick is something with germs that you can get rid of. At least that's how it is in my mind. Otherwise I'd be "sick" a lot more than I am now with my definition.

Feel better, Kat.

Post a Comment