Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Runner's High... Kinda

Okay, so today I decided I needed to prove to myself that I can accomplish a goal. I have been trying to find just the right thing to do for my 21rst birthday. At first I looked on TrailNet to see if there were any interesting hikes or bike rides that day... Swing and a miss. They were 20+ milers which is a little beyond my current fitness level. So I went trolling through the internet for other cool things going on in St. Louis that weekend. I stumbled upon a 5k run/walk to raise money for ALS. This seems like the perfect thing to do. A close friend's dad has ALS and this a tangible way for me to show support.
The biggest thing that asthma has tried to take away from me these last 13 months is my ability to work out and be free to do what I want to do. I have to think about how bad the air outside is. Do I have my puffer? Should I take extra meds before I do xyz? I need to take this back. Yes, I will always have a little wheeze in my step but that doesn't mean I shouldn't stop stepping. Today, I did a test "run" at the rec. I set the tread mill and power walked with a twinge of jogging here and there. I make it 3k and would've gone farther but had to get to software engineering class.
Making it that far even though the pace I did it at puts me finishing a 5k in about an hour felt great. Little by little I'm getting stronger. I realize there are going to be and have been a fair number of road blocks along the way but C'est la vie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment