Wednesday, September 8, 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different

So I've kind of alluded to this in previous posts a bit, my fine motor skills and motor control kinda stink. When I was in kindergarten I was diagnosed with what at the time was called "motor planning disorder". However, from what I've read as of late the current preferred term is dyspraxia. Basically it means that my brain has a hard time communicating with my muscles as to what it wants them to do. My learning curve for muscle memory of a particular skill is significantly longer than most people. I will eventually learn how to do physical things but generally it takes me more time and effort to do so. I also often find different ways of going about an activity to achieve the same end result.

This can be incredibly frustrating because I know in my head what needs to get done and yet I can't make it happen. This disconnect seems to grow stronger when I've got the Vento-wobbles. Which is an interesting correlation. I had to do physical therapy for a year or two when I was little but beyond that the medical establishment has never really done much to deal with this issue for me. Actually come to think of it I'm not even sure if it is known to Dr. Z, since I don't know if she ever got to see my chart from the pediatrician.  For the most part at this point in life I've gone past the time at which learning new motor skills is a big thing that you/your peers do. Really the last challenging one I had was learning to drive. Well and there is my inhaler technique which is less than stellar, I just can't quite seem to get the whole breathe out/press down/ breathe in thing quite synced up correctly. Something to perhaps bring up with Dr. B next appointment. I may be someone who is destined for the land of DPI controllers, since they require less coordination. So there you have it, the reason why I still have not mastered hula hooping, rollerblading, a bunch of yoga poses,  and inhaler taking, as well as get sensory overloads.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Have you considered getting a spacer? I have a hard time with the coordination stuff when I'm flaring, so I find it really helps me out... It might be better for you with your coordination issues.

Kat said...

Yep, I've had one for a while now. It's pretty much the only way that I can sometimes get the meds to end up in my lungs. My spacer is like always with me.

Post a Comment