Saturday, October 16, 2010

Homecoming 5K

Breakfast of Champions: Ventolin & Energy Bar
So I had the distinct honor of being the last person to finish my university's homecoming 5k race. I passed some people but they apparently gave up. I was pretty much at the back of the pack most of the race. Occasionally in front of a person or two but mostly just in front of the guy in the suv that was picking up the cones marking the race path. Oh well, I finished strong and that's what counts.

My time was 41:33 which was a little slower than I was hoping for. However, I didn't realize how many little bunny hills there were in the course. I'm good at long climbs, short climbs tend to reduce me to power walking. Given the course I'm pretty happy with my result. I jogged a good deal of it with slower bits when I was going uphill.

So I forgot to turn my sensor off at the finish. You can see the bunny hills :)
Overall the lungs behaved pretty well especially, since I discovered later in my half awakeness first thing I grabbed my old ProAir(which I'm like 95% sure is dead and will be retired to the drawer-o-empties). I've been kind of tight all afternoon and I've got some congestion in the sinus region, but over all the lungs are pretty much behaving. My legs were getting pretty tight on me which isn't cool. I'm pretty sure it's time for me to take yoga back up or something cause I just feel really inflexible. As silly as I feel in down dog and doing sun salutations, it does help with the flexibility.
Thumb holes are the best part of my cold weather technical top!

I ran with my ipod with the nike plus plugged in but no music going. Either the course was wildly mismarked(not likely) or my sensor needs some recalibration. It said I was at 5k right around the 3 mile mark. Which I mean isn't super far off but probably worth a jaunt down to the university track to run and walk a 400 meter lap (it's literally right out the back door of my reshall.. super convenient :) ). Another convenient thing about campus was the way the 5k was routed put me right by a good spot to watch the homecoming parade which started 20 min after I finished :-).

View Walking to Starting Line
As far as what is next, on the motivation I'm not sure. I'm thinking about going vertical for the winter, there is a Lung Association Stairclimb not too far away this spring, which seems like a different challenge. I'm thinking it could be  fun although it's right in the middle of my typical March Flare season. Instead of green beer for St. Patty's day I pretty much every year for the remember-able past have had green mucus coming out of my face in large quantities (and have landed on pred last year and the beginning of the asthma saga the year before).

I'm not sure, but one thing is for sure, the days like today where it's a balmy 50 degrees warming towards 60F are not going to be around much longer. Unfortunately winter will be sending me indoors soon. I shall have to hit up the Rec Center for the first time this semester. Which is significantly less scenic than the outdoors.

1 comments:

kerri said...

Well done! AND WAY faster than I've ever been able to do a 5K!

And, like I said in the e-mail, finishing last is cool, and you know you did your best :-).

Post a Comment